Pages

Guest Review: Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyui Choi

Alex wrote a great review for a book report at school, and I wanted to share it here with you. After reading his review, I think I'd like to check out this book.

Year of Impossible Goodbyes
by Sook Nyui Choi
Year of Impossible Goodbyes
\

Sook Nyui Choi wrote Year of Impossible Goodbyes. It takes place in Korea (North and South) in spring and summer 1945. The genre of this book is historical fiction. The main character of this story is Sookan, a 10-year-old Asian girl. There are many other characters but that is the only important one in my point of view .The plot of this story is that the cruelties of the Japan military are occupying Korea. Police captain Narita does his best to destroy everything of value to the family, but he cannot break their spirt. Sookan’s father is with the resistance movement in Manchuria and her older brothers have been sent away to labor camps. Her mother is forced to supervise a sock factory and Sookan must wear a uniform and attend Japanese school. I liked the book because it is educational and sheds light on history through a personal story but it is also very intense. The descriptions are great and readers really can get a feel for what the land of Korea is like. I DON’T recommend it to little kids and kids that are immature, because the violence in this book and some stereotypes, inappropriate language and they are beating around the bush on some paragraphs in the book (inappropriate terms). Other then that, I recommend it to people who like history books!

By: Alex Collins



3 comments:

latree@dandelion said...

this makes me want to read it too..
around that year (1940s) cruelties of Japanese army spread all over asia, including my country Indonesia. so I can imagine, at least e little, what this is about..

good job, alex.

Staci said...

A+ Alex!! Well done bud and I'm glad that you took a chance on historical fiction, one of my favorite genres!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How the HECK did I miss this post???? UGH....blogger and I have not been getting along lately!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this!!! GO ALEX! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)